PhotobucketPhotobucket

Email me!

Send comments, pictures, recipes, links and ideas!

babyinthekitchen@gmail.com

Subscribe Now

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Make Your Own: Baby Food, do you need all those fancy gadgets?

Your baby is approaching that amazing time in life- time to start his first solids!!!! It's exciting and one search online can prove to be VERY overwhelming.  Food mills, steamers, freezer bags and trays, containers for refrigeration, bags for transport, ice packs, etc etc etc.  While all of these tools are great ideas, are they necessary? In my opinion, no.

My rule of thumb is: Can I use this AFTER this stage of life? If not, then I try to find something else to use.

Pureeing:
I pureed most of Baby A's food with The Magic Bullet



We received one as a wedding gift, so I did not need to run out and purchase one. I liked it better than the blender because it was more compact. If I didn't have one, I would have used our blender.




2. Freezing
I used regular old ice cube trays. End of story.


3. Storing in the Fridge
I used Tupperware or small colorful take and toss cups.


4. Heating- no gadgets needed. I used the stove or microwave. Sometimes I even heated up in a pot of hot water.

6. Serving- I always serve A out of glass bowls or dishes. She does not have them on her tray- she would just throw them. Now that she is older and self-feeding, we just introduced bowls with suction cups, but she still pulls them off!


7. Utensils- When she was really little, we used tiny gerber spoons.


Now that she's older and goes to babysitting, I send the take and toss utensils. They are reusable, but it's not a tragedy if it gets left behind somewhere.




What are your must-haves? Leave a comment and tell us!

No comments:

tracking