PhotobucketPhotobucket

Email me!

Send comments, pictures, recipes, links and ideas!

babyinthekitchen@gmail.com

Subscribe Now

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Make Your Own Chicken and Black Beans in the Crock Pot

 YUM. I made this today and it was amazing. If you don't know me by now then let me tell you- I love all things mexican food! I love black beans, the seasonings, cilantro, salsa, avocados...YEAH!

Baby A went to town on this meal- as did my husband. We served it over brown rice tonight and will eat it in tortillas with fresh tomatoes/avocado for lunch tomorrow. Fabulous!

Chicken in Black Beans in the Crock Pot
by Meal Planning Mommies
Here is what you need:
Black Beans (uncooked, not from a can)
Chicken
Chicken Broth
Packet of taco seasoning
Can of tomatoes (whole, diced, chopped, whatever!)
Rice or Tortilla

Here is what to do:

1. First, stand in your kitchen and take a deep breath. This five minutes of preparation is going to produce a healthy and tasty dinner tonight with very little effort and hardly any clean up!

2. In your crock pot add the following:
*Black Beans that have been rinsed and drained. You do NOT have to let them soak overnight as long as you have a good 8 hours to let them cook in the crock pot today.
*Uncooked Chicken
*Can of tomatoes with the juice
*Box of broth
*half a packet of taco seasoning

3. Stir

4. Allow the crock to cook the meal all day long. Eventually the beans will soften perfectly and the chicken will become so tender that you can shred it with a fork, which is what you want to do before serving.

5. About 45 minutes before dinner cook your rice. We use brown rice, which takes a bit longer than white rice. (But, has added texture, taste, and health benefits!)

6. Serve the chicken and black beans over the rice. You can add a bit of sour cream or taco sauce to taste it up even more.


This meal was received very well by my family. I do think that when I make it again I would use the entire packet of taco seasoning and I might chop and cook an onion in the crock too.I did not freeze the leftovers, simply stored them for lunch tomorrow which we will serve with tortillas

1 comment:

Kflie83 said...

Yummm!! This was great! My husband said this one was definitely going in the recipe box!

tracking