PhotobucketPhotobucket

Email me!

Send comments, pictures, recipes, links and ideas!

babyinthekitchen@gmail.com

Subscribe Now

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Roasting My First Chicken!

Guess what, guess what, guess what?? 
I roasted my first chicken yesterday! And it turned out really well!

I feel just like June Cleaver (RIP by the way)!!! No, I was not wearing pearls, heels, not even a cute dress...pretty sure I was rockin' my after-work-sweats. 

I wanted to roast a chicken for several reasons:

1) I want to stop buying lunch meat. It's icky, it's expensive and it's full of crap that I don't really want to be eating.
2) I want to get back to the basics of cooking, back to the days when people made food from scratch, because they had to--I have found that if I make it a priority, then I have plenty of time to make food from scratch.
3) I buy a lot of chicken stock and if I can learn to make my own, why not?
4) It just sounds cool.

Okay, I am kidding on the last one (Kinda)!

The roast actually had directions right on the packaging-
1) Season it with salt and pepper inside and out.  On the advice of my sister, I stuck some cut up onion inside.
2) Preheat the oven to 350. Stick the roast in a roasting pan and add 1 cup of water.
3) Cook for 2-2.5 hours. The roast I bought had a pop up thermometer right in the one leg, so this was very easy.

For future, I need to buy a roasting pan (I bought a $2 foil one at Giant), and a meat thermometer.


All this from the girl who didn't know how to make TACOS in 2005! WOOHOO!!!!

No comments:

tracking