PhotobucketPhotobucket

Email me!

Send comments, pictures, recipes, links and ideas!

babyinthekitchen@gmail.com

Subscribe Now

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Monday, December 20, 2010

Make Your Own: Balsamic-Glazed Chickpeas and Mustard Greens

Okay, I just haven't quite figured out how I'd like to consume mustard greens. Neither has JP. We tried them sauteed with olive oil, onions, and garlic, and it was okay. 

Since we get them in our CSA pick up, I really want to like them and not let them go bad by avoiding them (I'll admit, I did this one week:().

I found this recipe, and still, it's okay. Totally not the recipe's fault- the chickpeas were awesome, it's just those dang mustard greens that are holding me up.

Now that I have totally built this up (haha), here it is!

If you're thinking, "Caitlin, you don't like how these taste, WHY are you posting?" I get you. But maybe YOU like mustard greens, so go for it! 

PS- I am not giving up. I plan to eat them every time we receive them and hopefully, eventually, I will LOVE them:)


Balsamic-Glazed Chickpeas and Mustard Greens

10 ounces mustard greens

1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
4-6 tablespoons vegetable broth, divided
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon agave nectar or sugar
1 cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained

Remove any large stems from the greens and discard. Tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces.

In a deep pot or wok, sauté the onion in a tablespoon or two of vegetable broth until mostly faded to pink, about 4 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and red pepper and another tablespoon of broth and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add the mustard greens, 2 tablespoons of broth, and cook, stirring, until greens are wilted but still bright green, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the salt, if using. Remove greens and onions from pan with a slotted spoon and place in a serving dish, leaving any liquid in pan.

Add the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and agave or sugar to the liquid in the pan (if there is no liquid, add 2 tablespoons of broth). Add the chickpeas and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the liquid is reduced by about half. Spoon the chickpeas over the greens and drizzle the sauce over all.

Serve warm, with additional balsamic vinegar at the table.

Servings: 2

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/2 of a recipe (12.3 ounces).

No comments:

tracking