PhotobucketPhotobucket

Email me!

Send comments, pictures, recipes, links and ideas!

babyinthekitchen@gmail.com

Subscribe Now

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

An Ode to Water...

Water, water, water...Oh how I love thee.




I grew up on Bucks County well water and to this day there is no better tasting water to me!
A few weeks ago, I visited with a nutritionist and one thing she told me was, "be sure to get in your daily requirements of water"!  She gently reminded me that I did it for "your baby when you were pregnant, now it's time to do it for you". Good point.







I almost ALWAYS have a nalgene water bottle with me to help me ensure I get enough in. I have found that the more you drink the more your body gets used to the intake, and the more you crave!  After our meeting, I went from my normal one bottle a day, to two, and now I am working on three per day, by choice!


As a rule of thumb, I only count pure water towards my daily intake of water, not coffee, iced tea, anything else.


I try to drink one bottle before lunch, and one before the end of the work day, or dinner.  The other day I finished THREE before 4pm! WOW!


As the dog days of summer rapidly approach, it will be even easier to get the water in.


Spice it up:
Need some help getting your water in?
  • Drink it ice cold
  • Add ice cubes
  • Add frozen lemons or limes
  • Add fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice 
Do you have any other tips?






Benefits of drinking water:
 (from http://www.ehow.com)

    Cell Benefits

  1. Water is needed by the cells to better absorb oxygen and to function properly.
  2. Aids Digestion

  3. Water is necessary for the body to digest its food properly. A lack of water in the body causes constipation, and that can lead to a host of other problems.
  4. Aides Circulation

  5. If the body is dehydrated, the blood becomes thick, causing difficulties in circulation. Poor circulation can cause headaches and fatigue.
  6. Regulates Temperature

  7. Water helps regulate body temperature by cooling the body in hot weather and insulating the body in colder weather.
  8. Liver and Kidney Flush

  9. Adequate amounts of water in the body aids in the excretion of body wastes and toxins by flushing the liver and kidneys. Individuals suffering from kidney stones can benefit from drinking 8 daily glasses of water as it helps to dissolve calcium in the urine.
  10. Skin Benefits

  11. Ninety percent of the skin is made up of water, and water is needed to keep the skin supple. A regular infusion of water helps to moisturize the skin and also helps muscles to contract properly.




How much should I drink?
You've heard the advice about drinking eight 8-ounce glasses of water daily about a billion times in your life, right? There's actually no magic (or science) to this number. The right amount of water consumption varies according to your activity level and size. If you want, just drink enough water so that your urine is clear.





How much do you drink? Any special tricks to getting it all in?

1 comment:

Bianca T. said...

I love water, I very rarely drink anything else. I think it tastes best when it's room temp. I pour a glass, then let it sit for a while, and to me that's the best way to drink it.

tracking