PhotobucketPhotobucket

Email me!

Send comments, pictures, recipes, links and ideas!

babyinthekitchen@gmail.com

Subscribe Now

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Cereal

In honor of my amazing husband's 30th birthday today, I shall post about cereal. Cereal?
Yes, cereal.

He loves it, I found a great article, so we will be going with it.

Healthy Food Ideas for Super Healthy Kids had an informative article about breakfast cereal and choosing the best ones for your family.  We love cereal, but A and I don't stray from cheerios (plain). My husband on the other hand will eat anything and anything and plows through it like there's no tomorrow!  He loves when he goes to Giant alone because he can choose any cereal he desires without getting narrowed eyebrows from me.  He can wait until he gets home before saying his signature line- "It can't be that bad for you"!

Here are some easy to follow guidelines from Super Healthy Kids:

  • Amount of sugar (look for cereals with less than 4 grams or 1 tsp per serving)
  • Amount of fiber Kids need 5 grams plus their age in an entire day. So let this number be determined by how many other fiber sources there are.  I like cereals with 3 or more grams of fiber per serving. 
  • Presence of whole grains (look for the words whole grain.  If it doesn’t say Whole grain, it is NOT whole grain! Prior post For further discussion of whole wheat labels 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Easy enough, right? What are you favorite cereals? Do they meet the guidelines? 
  • Don't mind all the bullets, for some reason I can't get them off! :) 

No comments:

Blog Archive

tracking